Tie dye is the perfect summer camp activity because it best to do it outside and with friends! For this tie dye tutorial we are going to show you how to make the classic tie dye swirl.
At BISBY we always suggest using bright colors and lots of them. For this tie dye technique you can use as many colored dyes as you want! So grab your Halter Tops and Contrast Sleeve Tees in white and let’s get started. Always use adult supervision when crafting at home.
What you’ll need:
- Halter Top in White
- Contrast Sleeve Tee
- Rubber Bands
- Squeeze Bottles
- Clothing dye
- Trash Bags
- Place your prewashed, damp Halter Top or Contrast Sleeve Tee on a flattened trash bag
- Pinch fabric between your fingers in the middle of the shirt and begin twisting your fingers to creating a spiral in the fabric around the center. Continue twisting until it resembles the shape of a cinnamon roll
- Slide the rubber bands under and over the fabric so the tshirt will hold its cinnamon roll shape during the dying process. You will use about 5-6 rubber bands in total to keep the shirt in the right shape
- Put on your gloves and fill the squeeze bottles with the colored clothing dye
- Apply the dye to the shirt in sections as desired. Make sure the squeeze bottle’s applicator tip is close to or touching the shirt so that dye reaches inside the crevices
- While still tied up, place the shirt in a plastic bag for at least four hours to let the dye sit
- Run cold water over the tied-up shirt until the water runs clear and then take the rubber bands off the shirt
- Wash the shirt in warm water in the washing machine BY ITSELF. Do not wash with other garments as the dye will continue to run during the first wash
Send in pictures of how you style BISBY or how your #BISBYgirl made her tie dye t-shirt to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured on our Instagram story! Happy crafting!